New route for the visitors of the Knossos archaeological site
A new visitor route was made at the archaeological site of Knossos.
The new route, perfectly integrated into the exceptional natural beauty, follows a path parallel to the high street which ensured access to the palace from the southern hinterland through a “viaduct” that connected the banks of the stream of “Vlycha.” The travelers, after having rested in the complex known as “caravan serai” or “Minoan Hostel”, they were crossing the “Viaduct” of impressive technical work, connecting the banks of the stream of “VLIHA”.
From there, the visitor entered the palace through the “pillared Scale”, a majestic structure with stairs and colonnade. These monuments were restored to be visited. Part of the route is accessible for people with disabilities, while along the path information signs and Braille signs are placed. It also provides additional information through RQ Code for mobile devices.
Knossos is the heart of the Minoan civilization, according to tradition the seat of the legendary king Minos and the birthplace of thrilling stories, such as the myths of the Labyrinth with its Minotaur and of Daidalos and Icaros. The site was inhabited continuously from the Neolithic period (7000-3000 BC) until the late Antiquity.
The location of ancient Knossos was first spotted in 1878 by the Cretan antiquarian and merchant Minos Kalokairinos. Arthur Evans conducted systematic excavations at the site between 1900 and 1931, bringing to light the palace, a large section of the Minoan city, and its cemeteries. Since then, the site and its wider region have been excavated by the British School of Archaeology at Athens and the local Archaeological Service. The restoration of the palace to its present form was carried out by Arthur Evans. Conservation and consolidation works are carried out by the Archaeological Service of the Ministry of Culture, imposed by the need to preserve and protect the monuments uncovered.