Ten Greeks in the list of the world’s most influential scientific minds
Webometrics published the list with the Highly Cited Researchers (h> 100) for 2018, and it represents some of the world’s most influential scientific minds and among them, we can find 10 Greek professors. Six are professors at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, three at the National Technical University of Athens and one at the University of Ioannina.
This ranking, which is published once a year and presents the Highest Cited Researchers (the ones who have h-index > 100). The bibliometric h-index, devised by JE Hirsch in 2005, practically means that a writer/researcher displays an h index when h from the Np publications have been h cited in academic journals over the past decade. Thus, the researchers included in this classification and who have h-index> 100, have 100 publications with 100 or more citations in other articles and surveys.
The list is written on the basis of information from public profiles in Google Scholar if teachers and university researchers. This classification includes 2.610 Highly Cited Researchers up to April 2018 and researchers with h-index> 100. First on the list is Dr. Sigmund Freud with h-index 280 and 491,861 citations. The teachers and researchers of this list are sorted in a descending order. The Greek scientists are:
1) Paraskevas Paris Sphicas of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens is the Greek researcher whose scientific publications appear to have the greatest international reach, according to the global ranking of Webometrics. He occupies the 73rd place with h-index 181 and 149.913 other scientists references (citations) to his publications. Mr. Sfekas, who has a Ph.D. from MIT, is Director of the Institute of Accelerating Systems and Applications (IASA) and the scope of his research is High Energy Physics.
2) George P Chrousos is in the 80th place and a Professor of Medicine, in the University of Athens, with h-index 179 and 132.181 citations to his published work.
3) John P A Ioannidis, in 168th place, is a professor at the Medical University of Stanford, California, with h-index 164 and 161.500 citations.
4) The Greek-American Paul Alivisatos, in place 237, and works at the University of California Berkeley, in Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.
5) Yorgos Tsipolitis occupies place 241 and is a Professor at SEMFE (School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences) of the National Technical University of Athens.
6) Nicholas A Peppas of University of Texas at Austin is in place 254 and is a Professor of Chemical Engineering.
7) Christos Markou of the Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics is in place 255.
8) Stavros Maltezos, in place 289, is an Associate Professor of Physics at SEMFE (School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences) of the National Technical University of Athens.
9) Evangelos Gazis (E N Gazis) is in 336th place and a professor at the National Technical University of Athens with Ph.D. from the University of Athens Physics Department.
10) Dimitris Loukas, in place 662, is a Director of Research at Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics.