British honors Seferis and Kalvos
This Saturday the official unveiling of commemorative plaque to Andreas Kalvos and George Seferis «Two Greek Poets in Louth» will be held this Saturday 21st of June 2014.
In 1864, Andreas Kalvos and his wife Charlotte made their home in Louth, near their friend W.T. Kime. In 1869 Kalvos was buried at St Margaret’s Church, Keddington, until in 1960 the then Greek Ambassador to London and Nobel Laureate poet George Seferis oversaw the transfer of his remails to his native Zante, with the help of J.W. White, then director of Louth Museum.
On the occasion of the Greek EU Presidency and the 150th anniversary since Kalvos” arrival in Louth, the Hellenic Foundation for Culture, UK, joins Louth Museum in a special celebration of the two poets and the unveiling of the 1960 commemorative plaque bequeathed by Seferis to St Margarets.