The city of sun and culture
Kalamata, the capital of Messinia Prefecture, locates in the inlet of the Messinia Bay and is built at the foot of Mount Kalathi, on the outskirts of Taygetos, in place of the ancient Faron. It constitutes the administrative, economic and commercial centre of the South-west Peloponnese, just 215 km away from Patras and 230 kilometers from Athens.
Kalamata connects to Tripoli by car and therefore to Athens, via the Korinthos – Tripoli – Kalamata motorway. On the west, Kalamata is connected by road network to Pyrgos and Patras.
Kalamata has a civilian airport (IATA: KLX), from which flights are carried out to Athens and Thessaloniki, as well as and chartered flights to various cities in Europe. The distance from the city of Kalamata is 7 km.
The port of Kalamata offers itineraries to Kythira and Crete during summer. Finally, Kalamata disposes of an Urban Bus Line with five itineraries and an organized Marina.
– On 23 March 1821, Kalamata was the first city to be captured from the Ottoman rule of over 300 years, by the Greek revolutionary forces under the command of generals Theodoros Kolokotronis, Petros Mavromichalis and Papaflessas. Mavromihalis declared the revolution in the church of Agion Apostolon.
– Kalamata olives have PDO status in the European Union, meaning that only olives originating from Kalamata can be sold as Kalamata olives.